Lady Dufferin Hospital is situated in the city of Karachi, Sindh, and it is the greatest women’s hospital in the state of Pakistan. The hospital, which was completed in the year 1898, was dervied after the name of the British peeress Lady Dufferin. Benazir Bhutto, the ex-Prime Minister of Pakistan, gave birth to a son Bilawal Bhutto Zardari here in the year 1988.
Seth Edulji Dinshaw invested a sum of Rs. 50,000/- for its development.
Foundation laying ceremony
The foundation laying ceremony was conducted on the day of 12 November 1894 by Lady Elgin.
In the year 1915, Dr. Elizabeth Stephens Imprey was elected as the new head of the hospital, but she never made it to the city of Karachi from the country England. She boarded the P & O liner SS Persia as a 1st class passenger in the area of Tilbury, London. The ship was sunk off Crete’s coast by a German submarine on the day of December 30, 1915. More than 340 passengers drowned, involving Dr. Imprey.
Earlier, a ward in this hospital was kept particular for the Parsis. In the day of January 1917, the Virbaijee Maternity Wing was launched.
At the end of the nineteenth Century, the females of India were ready to die instead to get treatment in general hospitals in the availability of male sufferers. When the Queen Victoria was informed of the plight of these females, she inquired Lady Hariot Dufferin, the wife of the Viceroy of India at that period, to help seek a solution. Lady Hariot Dufferin decided to develop hospitals exclusively for the females and kids. These Dufferin Hospitals were situated in the cities of Karachi, Quetta, Shikarpur and Hyderabad in the state of Pakistan and Delhi, Nagpor and Calcutta in the state of India.
She requested to the regional philanthropists to donate to the “Dufferin Fund” in case to build these hospitals. In response to this request Mr. Eduljee Dinshaw, a famous philanthropist, developed the Lady Dufferin Hospital at the city of Karachi, by a princely donation, in the year 1894 as a Charitable Institute. The foundation laying ceremony of Eduljee Dinshaw Wing was conducted on the day of 12 November 1894 by Lady Elgin with Kincardine and completed in the year 1898.
Katrak Maternity Wing: The Foundation Stone was laid in the day of August 1914 and the complex was completed in the month of June 1915. The Opening ceremony was launched on the day of 6 January 1916. Total Cost: Rs. 70,000/-
Renovation works was started on the day of 27 February 1999. Ground breaking ceremony was conducted by Lt. Gen. (Retd) Moinuddin Haider, Governor of the province Sindh. The work completed in the month of December 2005.
COWASJEE School of Midwifery
The Lady Dufferin Hospital is believed to be one of the ancient Hospitals of the Subcontinent. A famous philanthropist Mr. Eduljee Dinshaw made it possible to develop the Lady Dufferin Hospital, Karachi by a princely donation in the year 1894 with bed capacity of 192. It is a privately funded, non-profit institution offering Obstetrical and Gynecological care for females and their new born babies.
The unique characteristic of the Lady Dufferin is the quality of care offered to the sufferers irrespective of their economical status.
Nursing Training: In the start, the hospital was started for females and kids. In case to fulfill its requirements for Nursing Services the School of Nursing for General and Midwifery was began in the year 1912. The General Nursing was discontinued in the year 1964 and the whole focus was moved to midwifery training.
It was among the 1st midwifery schools identified by the Central Board of Midwives of U.K. Since the year 1994 the School of midwifery has maintained approx. 98 percent success amount in the qualifying Examination Board (SNEB).In the year 1994 one student has gained First Position with honors in the whole province of Sindh as well as all across the state of Pakistan.
During the training time, the students are offered free accommodation, food and health coverage. After the completion of training it is compulsory to give 1 year service to the hospital.
Since its inception the school was moved from 1 building to another within the premises of the hospital. In perspective of this the hospital administration decided to make School of Midwifery involving hostel facilities.
Mr. Ardeshir Cowajee (Cowasjee Foundation) constructed a proper school of Midwifery involving the hostel which was completed in the year 2011. The opening ceremony of the school was arranged on the day of 25 February 2012.